Latest posts by Jesse (see all)
- Ad Astra, or: Why Don’t I Like James Gray Movies More? - September 18, 2019
- The SportsAlcohol.com Podcast: Indie Movies of Summer 2019 - September 16, 2019
- It, The Goldfinch, and temporal mismatches - September 12, 2019
Hey, have you guys heard about the new Ghostbusters movie coming out this week? Many of the film’s cast members have one obvious thing in common… that’s right, many of them were on Saturday Night Live (is there some other difference you were thinking of?). The casting of Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, and (in a supporting role) Cecily Strong establishes a clear lineage with the 1984 original, which featured Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd acting out (and riffing on) an Aykroyd-cowritten script. The first film remains one of the most successful to star Saturday Night Live alumni, which got your SportsAlcohol.com crew thinking about how cast members on that program have made the transition into movies. Nathaniel, Sara, Marisa, Jesse, and Jon got together to talk about this rich history for roughly the length of a Saturday Night Live episode to talk about official SNL movies, unofficial SNL movies, and a whole lot of actors.
Listen and find the answers to the following questions, and more!
- Does Mike Myers work without makeup?
- Which one of us saw Bordello of Blood in the theaters?
- How young is too young to watch Beverly Hills Cop?
- What movie is an even less distilled expression of Aykroyd-ness than Ghostbusters?
- Have Tina Fey and Amy Poehler really made it in the movies yet?
- Which SNL players do we want to see star in their own movie?
How To Listen
We are now up to SIX (6) different ways to listen to a SportsAlcohol podcast:
- You can subscribe to our podcast using the rss feed.
- I’m not sure why they allowed it, but we are on iTunes! If you enjoy what you hear, a positive comment and a rating would be great.
- I don’t really know what Stitcher is, but we are also on Stitcher.
- SportsAlcohol.com is a proud member of the Aha Radio Network. What is Aha? It’s kind of like Stitcher, but for your car.
- You can download the mp3 of this episode directly here.
- You can listen in the player below.